Pico Rivera is a city located in southeastern Los Angeles County. The city is situated approximately 11 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, on the eastern edge of the Los Angeles basin, and on the southern edge of the area known as the San Gabriel Valley. The 20210 census reported that the city had a population of 62,942 and it is approximately 9 square miles.
Pico Rivera was founded in 1958 , from the merger of the long-standing unincorporated communities of Pico (named for Pio Pico, the last Mexican governor of California) and Rivera. Situated on a rich alluvial plain between the Rio Hondo and the San Gabriel River, the area was once predominantly agricultural; but, at the end of WWII, the fast rising demand for homes lured builders to the attractive terrain.Since the 1950s, it has been both residential as well as industrial. It had a Ford Motor Company plant for many years: Pico Rivera lies below the Whittier Narrows, making it one of the "Gateway Cities".
In January 1958, 56 percent of the electorate voted for incorporation. They approved a Council-Manager form of government, and the name “Pico Rivera” was established for the new city. Five citizens were chosen from a slate of 24 candidates to serve as members of the first City Council; Pico Rivera officially became the 61st city in Los Angeles County.